Saturday, September 12, 2009

"Nia" and Spinach Dip

On the IPOD "Like a Feather" by Nikka Costa



This weekend has been full of new experiences... Let's start with Friday night. So I was a tad bit nervous about going out to dinner. Not only because I've worked in restaurants and I know how much butter is used but also because I really don't want to be that girl who obsesses over what to order and how much butter and oil is used. So I did a little research I looked online to see if any info was given about the menu. I felt pretty smart going into it, I had already decided what I was going to get...the Wood fire Grilled King Salmon with Grilled Asparagus and I was planning on exchanging the panzenella salad for an extra green veggie. Before we left the house I drank a spicy V8 so I wouldn't be starving, but I was not planning on the boys ordering the Spinach Dip with Crispy Lavosh. As I saw the plate coming to the table I took a deep breath and repeated in my head "you will not be sucked in, you are working way too hard on this!" I slowly glanced at the ramekin overflowing with hot bubbling cheese, and then I looked around and I could feel everyone starring at me like "what do you mean Amanda, you're not even gonna try it?"(by the way this part was probably more in my head) It is just not fair, why are some people able to eat this 1400 calorie delight and I can't because my body won't even think about metabolizing it and instead has a space ready for it directly under my belly button? And to top this off my willpower is about as strong as a 3 years olds who is sitting in front of a bowl of candy. But it was a half success at least, I didn't touch the dip although I did share a piece of lavosh with my husband. I got through it!! Woohoo!!

Saturday was amazing!! I decided to try out a Nia class at the dance studio. The schedule describes the Nia practice "as a blend of an energizing, body friendly cardio workout with elements of modern and jazz dance, martial arts, yoga, expressive free movement and powerful imagery." It kicked my ass and I mean that in the best possible way. It was the most exhilarating workout I've had ... well maybe my whole life. And I would have to admit that I might be hooked. I think it was actually the way I felt after the class that hooked me, I had mixed feelings of actually having somewhat control over my own body (instead of feeling like it is the enemy) and having the desire to take up pole dancing. I then came home and took a full bottle bubble bath (this is when I give myself the treat of using an entire bottle of bubble bath at one time) and spent the rest of the evening with my wonderful husband.

Thank you Mike for the last 6,176,160 minutes. They have not all been perfect, but they have been worth it. You mean the world to me!!

xoxo chef a

No comments: