Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Locked in the Steam Room

On the IPOD "Who Says" by: John Mayer

Today started off great except that Mike started his new job yesterday and they informed him that for the next month he has to be there at 6:30am which means he has to get up by no later than 5:00am, pretty rough for everyone even Wonton. But Wonton and I are thrilled that Mike loves his new job and that we might actually even have real benefits eventually! Yay!!


After 4 grocery stores and two clients I decided to go back to the richy richy health club (Equinox). This time I was by myself. I will workout with friends, but I am completely ok by myself. I am like my father in that I have no problem going to lunch, dinner, a movie, or a concert completely by myself so working out is pretty much the same thing. Don't get me wrong I'm completely social maybe that's why it it easy for me, who knows... Anyways I power walked on the treadmill for about 20 minutes, rowed for about 10 minutes, rode the bike for 10 minutes and even tried out the mountain climbing machine for 5, no joke you can even pick the mountain you want to climb. So for 5 minutes of my life I was a mountain climber! Ha! and I did all this with a cold eucalyptus towel around my neck, I don't even know if I like it but it's available and I'm gonna use it. I have to admit it though I really came back for the steam room... So I'm gonna set the stage for you...I don't go in the steam room naked first of all the towel would barely cover one ass cheek and second of all the towel would barely cover one ass cheek! So I go in wearing my crocs (because I don't wanna know what kind of bacteria grows in there), my yoga pants, my sports bar and a tank top. I know I might as well throw a jacket on too! Just so you know the temperature gauge said 126* today...wow! There I am in the steam room sitting on two towels and all I keep asking myself is, "Amanda, what if somebody locks you in here what are you going to do? Hmmm...I wonder if this glass would break or is it shatter resistant? What if it just kept getting hotter...would I die?" And then I said to myself, "stop thinking this way, you are in control, nobody is going to lock you in here. You can do it!" Yeah well about 2 minutes later I got up and quickly walked out. I mean if I have to be killed I do not want it to be in a steam room...I mean I don't really like the idea of dying at all but there are about a 100 other ways that would be more pleasant. This is why I don't watch horror movies and why I occasionally make my husband come to get me at the car when I come home late.

I finished the evening going to one of my favorite restaurants Houston's with Mike. It is a little difficult to go to a restaurant where you can't order what you really want but I'm trying to get past it. I am a complete planner so I always call before I go to ask; What are the specials?, What are the vegetables of the day? and What is the fish on the fish sandwich? It really helps me to pretty much know what I'm going to order before going into the lion's den, if you know what I mean. I also knew my husband was going to order a salad to start and that means I'm going to order a salad too because I would end up eating part of his salad if I didn't and that wouldn't be a smart move...So I ordered a traditional salad minus the croutons and bacon, with salsa on the side, Oh and I gave my cheese bread to Mike. Then I ordered the fish sandwich (Grilled halibut tonight no butter completely dry and no bun) and steamed broccoli. Boring.... The funny part is that I used to work in restaurants and I once saw a chef dip a woman's grilled chicken in a pot of melted butter when she ordered it a specific way so that always runs through my head. I guess it's about trying to be healthy if somebody else messes you up I mean what are you going to do you just have to go on with life.

My throat is oddly sore...The difficult part of my job is that when kids get sick they stay home and then super fun Amanda is there cooking and they want to help. I love kids and typically can not say no to them helping in the kitchen mainly because I know that some of them don't get the opportunity because I cook all of their meals that is why today I ended up tasting a healthy appetizer of celery stick stuffed with steamed julienned carrots which Sam referred to as la celery carrota ( his version of French for the celery with carrots) very cute thank goodness he wasn't sick but they all are carriers I tell you!!

Goodnight all!

xoxo chef a

No comments: