Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sweet Potato Latkes

On the IPOD "King of the Rodeo" by: Kings of Leon

Yesterday morning I was trying to receive the organic meat order that I placed the day before and run by a couple of clients real quick before my Nia class at 10:20am. Yeah well one of my clients didn't inform me that the Mayor's 5k Run would be on her street... I'm not exactly sure what she thought I was gonna do...Oh wait it must be another example of a client who doesn't understand that I have a life and although I love to cook and make money I don't have 45 minutes to wait in line to look at a dish she wants me to use for their Christmas Dinner. Once I was stuck in the line there really wasn't any turning back...her response was simply, "Oh is that why all the runners are on this street?" REALLY!! Anyways I missed the Nia class, what a bummer!

On the first night of Hanukkah I made the most amazing sweet potato latkes...actually I have never met a latke I didn't like but these might have been the best thing that I've put into my mouth.

Sweet Potato Latkes

1 1/4 pounds ruby sweet potatoes, peeled (you can use jewel or reg but the ruby have such a great flavor and color)
1/2 sweet onion
1/3 cup flour (or Matzoh meal, I used flour)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
vegetable oil

Hand grate sweet potatoes and onions into a bowl. Add in flour, eggs, salt and pepper. In a med. to large skillet with sides heat about 1 1/2 inches of oil over med high heat. When hot form thin latkes with about 1/8 cup of the mixture. Fry until browned and crispy, if browning too fast turn heat down. Move Latkes to a wire rack that has been placed over a paper towel lined sheet pan. DO NOT PLACE LATKES STRAIGHT ON PAPER TOWELS THEY WILL GET SOGGY!! This recipe makes about 20 nice sized latkes. These are amazing!! You could also add some cayenne to the mixture if you want it a little spicy!!

Serve with sour cream and applesauce if desired...we just ate them off the racks!!


Happy Hanukkah!!!!

xoxo chef a

2 comments:

jamieswartz1 said...

they were the best!!!! i love that you made them because i could not stop eating them.....although my waist line was not happy i kept shoveling them in my mouth!! xoxo

Unknown said...

Amanda, I made these latkes last night and they were the best sweet potato latkes I've ever had! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!! We had a few people over for Chanukah and they were the hit of the evening. You're the best! Keep 'em comin'!