Monday, January 4, 2010

Granny

On the IPOD "The Prayer" by: Celine Dion and Josh Groban

Dedicated to my Granny...

Being at my Grandmother's house is surreal... She has lived there over 50 years and although some things have moved around slightly there is something comforting about the sameness. The kitchen is small but effecient. Everything has it's place up to the dry measuring cups that hang on the wall. Central heat/air and a dishwasher were only added when my mother starting having babies. If I close my eyes tight enough I can taste the warm biscuit with butter and apple or plum jelly that I ate for breakfast every morning there before we got back in the car and drove back to Dallas.

My Granny is still strikingly beautiful. She has a calmness about her. Some people might think she is quiet but I've always thought that she just limits the pointless conversation and really just says what she means. I know her politics, I know that she paved a way for me by being a woman and a mother and holding down a job that was really intended for a man. She was the main provider for her family and from what I have heard my grandfather left a lot to be desired as a husband. When she got fed up enough with his alcoholic ways she sent him on his way, pulled her boots straps up and moved on. She lived a humbled life at times but always had food on the table.

I have always known what an incredible woman she is...I could see it in my father's eyes. She has worked hard her entire life and has done it with grace. I love her with all of my heart and I have never doubted the fact that she loves me back.

Being there to celebrate her 95th Birthday was bittersweet...It was priceless to be able to spend some quality time with her but after we hugged and said our "i love you's" it was hard to hold the tears back while driving away... I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that my Dad should be here. He should get to see her still driving and planting and trying to not let me wash the dishes.

I can only hope that I will be able to live up to the example that she has set forth. I hope that I can teach my children about the sacrifies that she made so that their grandfather could survive and flourish. And I hope that I can exude some of the grace that I have witnessed in her.

I love you Granny and Thank you for teaching me to have passion, to work hard and to always strive for the best!
xoxo chef a

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful...what a tribute to your grandmother....she is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have her.I believe your father is watching with those twinkly eyes and wonderful smile that was warm and loving......just like your smile,'SUNSHINE'