Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Tasting Menu

On the IPOD "Blackbird" by: The Beatles and "Fifteen" by: Taylor Swift

Ok well first off it has come to my attention that I repeated a song...well it's a good song...but it was a mistake so I gave you two today!!

Second, We had our end of the year chef meeting at Five-Sixty, which is the relatively new Wolfgang Puck Restaurant. If you know anything about the Dallas Skyline the restaurant is in Reunion Tower or "the ball". The restaurant turns in circles, it takes 55 minutes for it to make a full circle. I get the coolness factor of a restaurant that turns although after two very strong martinis= not so much fun! They knew we were coming so everything was impeccable. I didn't eat anything that I didn't care for because I was saving my calories for the things I did like so I'm going to give you some tasting notes next to the menu...


Five Sixty Grand Tasting
Amuse:
Spicy Tuna Tartare, Sesame-Miso Tuille Cone, Bonito, Tobiko
(presentation and technique was perfect unfortunately I'm not a tuna tartare kind of girl)

First Course:
Sushi and Robata, Served Family Style
California Roll, Alaskan King Crab, Avocado, Cucumber
Miso Marinated Black Cod Skewers, “Nanban Eggplant” Spicy Miso
Tempura Fried String Beans, Togarashi Chili-Curry Salt
(all three were amazing!)
Second Course:
Arctic Char, Cardamom Raita, Tandoori Spices, Bengali Tomato Chutney
(This was fine..I love Artic Char but I probably wouldn't order it again)
Third Course:
Crisp Suckling Pig, Plum Puree, Sweet Bean, Pickled Cipollini Onions
(amazing!!!!Totally rich but a one bite gem!!)

Fourth Course:
“Shanghai Style” Maine Lobster, Pickled Ginger Curry, Crisp Spinach
(the philosophy of this dish is great the flavors are there... my lobster was a tad chewy but the spinach was wonderful it reminded me of a restaurant my Dad used to take me when I was little that had Fried Parsley!!)
Fifth Course:
Crispy Quail “General Tso” Sweet Chili Soy Sauce, Spicy Greens Salad
(By Far my favorite dish, I would definitely order this as a main dish! I'm salivating over it just thinking about it! Crispy, sweet, spicy, crunchy, ugh heaven!!)

Main Course:
Mongolian Grilled Lamb Chops, Hunan Glazed Eggplant, Chili-Mint Vinaigrette
(Not my thing... )

Dessert: Served Family Style (they brought us all the desserts as a professional courtesy)
Fuji Apple Crumble “Pie” a la Mode
Baked Alaska, Toasted Meringue, Huckleberry Sauce
Banana Cream Pie, Bittersweet Chocolate Sorbet
Valhrona Chocolate Souffle, Chocolate Sauce, Gianduja
Turtle Cheesecake
Fresh Baked Cookies
(Ok so I did take a bite out of everything but the Banana Cream Pie and the Apple Crumble were the best if you ask me and I didn't waste my time on the cookies!)
It was very good , but nights like this are what makes the holidays hard...I mean how are you supposed to lose weight if you are forced into doing a tasting menu...Im kidding believe me I wish someone had to force me to eat. But now that I have moved in and am in the process of settling in I hope to hit 40 pounds by monday or tuesday... So I will be spending some time working my ass off litterally in the gym today! I didn't get any Thanksgiving requests????
xoxo chef a

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I love eating vicariously thru you. The tasting menu sounded wonderful.

My guess is that your Dad used to take you to Ewald's. My parents took me there as a child as well and I am still searching out more fried parsley! Everyone I explain it to thinks I am crazy and that it must have been something else. I am glad to know that someone else out there knows what I am talking about.

We have an enormous Thanksgiving feast every year but can never find a stuffing recipe that we like-our family has a lot of mitigating factors- my in laws won't eat pork or shellfish and my parents don't like sage. Any good recipes for me?
-Barrett

Chef Amanda Miller Marrone said...

Yes I do I will post it tonight!! Sounds like we need to have a dinner party and fry up some parsley!! And yes you are right it was ewalds at the stoneleigh!!! Amanda