Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Working Out On Empty

On the IPOD "You Lost Me" By: Christina Aguilera

On Tuesday I learned a very important lesson, Listen to your body! You would think that after almost 32 years of life I would know that one, but I think in general I have been ignoring my body most of my life.

This is how the day went... I left the house at around 6 am and headed to the store and to my client's house. After work I picked up a couple of sandwiches for my mom and I and met her at my place so that she could help me go through the closet in the nursery room.(Thank you MOM!) I had a veggie sandwich with cheese (There is no question that I'm having a difficult time eating protein at the moment.) We worked on the closet for a couple of hours and then I took a quick little nap before Nia. On the way to Nia I realized that I hadn't eaten anything since 12 but I was running late and was going to see if they had a bar or something at the studio. Unfortunately they didn't... So instead of listening to my body at this point...I just grabbed my water and headed to class. About 15 minutes into class, I started to feel funny... My leg started cramping and there was no question that my body was letting me know that something wasn't right. But did I listen...nope I just went on with class. After class I met my friend Jamie for dinner and I had a chicken sandwich. On the way home from dinner I was not feeling well at all, so badly in fact that I got extremely sick when I got home. Now I haven't been sick in 5 days so it did make me worry a little, I put a call into my doctor who called right back and had a serious talk with me about making eating a priority and not ever going more than two hours without at least a snack. He said that I let my blood sugar get too low and then worked out and most likely I need more fluids as well.

Of course I'm going to do everything I can to face my recurring food issues head on since obviously they are still causing problems. I mean I've been guilting myself over food for the last 24 years what would make me think that being pregnant would somehow fix it. If anything it is making me even more aware of how much control I give to the numbers on a scale even if in exchange I ignore the truths that my body is obviously screaming at me. I'm going to take the next few days before my birthday to talk openly and honestly with you about how I am truly feeling about food, my body and my health and hopefully it will help me get on the track I need to be for the next 5 1/2 months and maybe even for the rest of my life.

xoxo chef a

1 comment:

MereEin said...

One of the hardest things is "forcing yourself" to eat while you are pregnant. I am going through the same thing. I feel like a goose that is getting prepped to be Fois gras. I don't want to eat every 1-2 hours but I know if I go too long - I will surely puke. Having already had one kid you would think I would be able to just get over the whole eating thing and surrender to it - but I am also having a hard time with it. The other time it is hard is when you will nurse. You have to eat and drink - drink all the time! You will get a cotton taste in your mouth if you aren't drinking enough and knowing that all you are is a milking vessel takes a bit getting used to but it's also really cool to know you are providing life for your child. But don't get me wrong, it's also exhausting!